new gutters

Old 09-09-02, 08:16 PM
tsawchuk
Visiting Guest
Unhappy new gutters

We're looking to put gutters on a 20-yr old house that has never had them before (It has 2 foot overhangs so I guess the previous owners thought they didn't need them) Anyway, I've been told good things and bad things about plastic diy gutter systems vs the metal kind that you pay to have installed. Hard to get a consensus. Some say the plastic ones expand and contract too much and look like crap in a short time....but aren't the metal ones higher maintenance? I'm interested in reading some opinions on this...Thanks.

Old 09-23-02, 08:51 PM
MTgets
Visiting Guest
If money is not really a problem you can not go wrong with a seamless aluminum gutter system. Each piece is custom made on the spot.NO SEAMS!! you can have them make you a 1 ft. piece or a 300 ft. piece, depends on the length of coil stock they buy.
I am very impressed by mine.Very maintenece free, that is the key, you dont want to have to replace or fix every few years, you will regret it. I had them use a high quality aluminum coil stock made by Renyolds, I think they know a thing or two about AL.
just my .02 worth.

Old 09-24-02, 09:47 AM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
With properly graded material under 2-foot eaves, gutters are not necessary. Unless you install the leaf-guard type, you are adding one pain in the neck maintenance job to the house.

Old 09-24-02, 10:29 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I agree with Jeff. I am dreading having to clean out my 2nd floor gutters again this Autumn. If I had my choice, I'd have no gutters. I've seen other homes with crushed rock or pea stone around the perimeter of the foundation to catch the rain. Maybe a diverter or 2 over the entry doors. If your house has gone 20 years with no major water problems, leave well enough alone !?

Old 09-24-02, 06:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
In the state of Washington we require gutters on homes that sell with FHA or VA financing. Course it does rain here, The big thing is to devert the water away from the house to keep the crawl space, basement or slab dry.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: