When does drip edge get installed?

Old 09-15-02, 01:44 PM
skibum
Visiting Guest
Question When does drip edge get installed?

I'm redoing a low-slope roof on a shed attached to the back of a 25' wide garage. I thought the drip molding was nailed down right on top of the plywood. Now I've heard the the "Rake " side gets nailed down before the felt, and the "eaves" side is nailed after the felt is on. What are "rake" & "eave"? All I know is I've got 2 slightly sloping ends and a 25' long bottom edge. And do each get done differently?

Old 09-15-02, 04:21 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Drip Edge

The drip edge at the "eaves" gets installed BEFORE the felt. The eave is the bottom edge of the roof that the water runs off.
The felt should be installed OVER the drip edge so that any water that gets on top of the felt will run to the bottom edge (eave) of the roof, and off the roof. If the drip edge were installed over the felt, the water would run down the roof and then under the drip edge.

The drip edge at the "rake" gets installed AFTER the felt. The rake is the side of the roof that run from the bottom (eave) of the roof up to the peak or ridge of the roof. The drip edge on the rakes should be installed over the felt so that any wind-driven rain that blows in from the side will run over the drip edge, onto the felt, and then down off the roof. If the drip edge were installed under the felt, the wind-driven rain would run over the drip edge, but under the felt and onto the decking.

Hope this clears it up.

Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: