Flat Roof....am I getting hosed?

Old 09-27-02, 08:57 AM
TimTimTJ
Visiting Guest
Question Flat Roof....am I getting hosed?

I've been getting quotes to replace approx 250 sq/ft of roof. The roof is currently shingled (2 layers) and leaking. Since it's a low slope roof, it is recommended to install a flat roof. The house is in North Eastern PA if that make a difference. The Roof in question has 3 skylights installed.

So far I've gotten 3 quotes.

Quote 1: Guy wants $4400 for removal of old shingles and to install a Torch down roof.

Quote 2: $2400 Guy wants to replace the whole rear roof, which is about 1000 sq/ft. He suggests regular shingles for regular roof and a torch down for the flat section. He says that the shingles are peeling and should be replaced. It should be mentioned that the current roof is about 4 years old. The torch down comes with a 10-year war.

Quote 3: $3500 Remove old roof over flat section, raise skylights with proper curb and flashing, install 30 year EPDM, Ice & water protection installed at roof transition and under rubber roof. He says the rest of the roof is fine and not in need of replacement. Labor guaranteed for 10 years. This guy seems the most knowledgeable of the bunch.

All these number seem kind of high to me...we're only talking about 250 sq feet of roof. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Tim

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-02, 04:39 PM
ndc
Visiting Guest
I went through similar situ this summer except with a 4500 sq ft roof....did a lot of research and learned a lot...for only 250 sq ft I would spend a saturday and do it yourself. There are so many new modern materials that are very easy to use and they do not require the use of a flame or heat....you just peel off a backing and there is already adhesive. This is not a shortcut....the stuff is expensive and it lasts. Off the top of my head is www.patchandrepair.com .....they were extremely helpful and the materials were good but not inexpensive.