Adding a layer of shingles onto another

Old 09-29-02, 10:41 PM
tdatr00
Visiting Guest
Question Adding a layer of shingles onto another

We recently had a hail storm that damaged my asphalt shingle roof enough that I need to replace it. My insurance company gave me money to reroof. The will give me an additional $660 if I decide to remove all the shingles and felt and start from scratch. I live in Phoenix, AZ where it gets stinking hot in the summer. Are there disadvantages to putting a layer of shingles over my current layer? My current layer is 14 years old. I'm going to do this myself with a friend or two. I obviously could save myself a lot of headache and time up front, but what are the long term ramifications of not removing the old shingles and starting from scratch. I'm kind of curious at getting a look at the wood underneath and make sure none of that needs replacing while I am at it. Any good advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tim

Old 09-30-02, 04:48 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

If you plan on keeping this home, want to inspect the roof sheathing, and the insurance company will pay for removal, remove the old shingles and roofing felt.
You can do a layover if you want, but it will usually void the warranty on the new shingles, and the second layer will not last as long.
Your call.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 10-02-02, 06:08 AM
tdatr00
Visiting Guest
I didn't realize that the warranty might be affected, I'll have to check into that. You are talking about the new shingles, right?

Old 10-02-02, 06:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Yes.
Usually a layover voids the warranty on new shingles.
Mike

Old 10-02-02, 08:57 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Voided warranty?

Actually, recovers don't "void" the warranty on the new shingles.
Nothing really "voids" your warranty because you will still be covered if your shingle has a manufacturing defect.

For instance, if you have a problem with your roof and the shingles have been determined to have a manufacturing defect, you will still have your warranty no matter how bad the application may be.

Lets say you recover over rotten decking with no felt and only 3 nails per shingle. You have also nailed them too high and on too low of a slope. Your warranty against manufacturing defects is still in effect. Now lets say your roof leaks and you have the shingles tested.
If the shingles have been determined to have a manufacturing defect, you are still covered by the warranty and a settlement should be made.
If the shingle has been tested and does NOT have a defect, the manufacturer will then refer to the above problems as the cause for the leaks,....but your warranty "against manufacturing defects" is still in effect.

In your instance, if you recover and have blistering shingles, you will need to have the shingles tested. If there is a manufacturing defect, you will still be covered.
If the shingles do NOT have a defect, the manufacture will point to the recover as the reason....(i.e. - The recover has trapped moisture in the roof system and the moisture is coming out through the shingles causing blistering.)
But your warranty regarding shading, granule loss, wind, etc.. will still be in effect.

I would ALWAYS do a complete tear off and start from the deck.
Recovers only risk having problems that would not be covered if the shingles do not have a defect.

Good luck.

Old 10-12-02, 05:39 PM
linleei
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down Shingles Over Shingles

My roof is getting replaced next week. When I bought my house 7 years ago, I was told by the inspector that there are two layers of shingles on the roof and that it would not last as long as it should have because of this. The back, sunny side of the house has the most wear. From what I've been told, it isn't worth the time and labor saved by taking shortcuts.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: