roll roofing

Old 10-02-02, 11:38 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
roll roofing

i have a small cape house . the main roof is about a 45 degree angle and off the house is a small addition about 8' wide. the roof on this is about a 15 degree angle. whoever did this they installed shingles on the main roof and over on the flatter roof. we have always had problems with it leaking at this joint between the addition and the main house. people have said that roll roofing is the way to go. so i am going to tear the shingles off the addition and put roll roofing on. Now for the question(finally), what do i do to mate the roll roofing with the shingle roofing. is there flashing that has to be put on or something or do you just run the roll roofing a few feet up the shingled part and put it under the existing. or any other tips would be helpful. thanks

Old 10-02-02, 12:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

I would remove a row of shingles above the break at the lower roof, put down a bed of plastic roofing cement, run a solid length of flashing over it, and then roll roofing over that.
Slide the upper edge of the roll roofing sideways up under the next layer of shingles as far as it will go, and let it overlap on top of the the down roof shingles.
That should carry the water over the break and down the lower roof, and if water ever got under the roll roofing, the tar and flashing should prevent leaking.
Good luck!
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: