Felt paper - How long can I leave this down for?

Old 10-10-02, 08:06 AM
pktaske
Visiting Guest
Felt paper - How long can I leave this down for?

I did a tear off on my roof and put #15 felt down (with about a foot and a half overlap for good measure) 5 days ago...was going to start laying shingles down but wasn't in a real hurry to finish up...problem is that now the felt paper is getting all bumpy and we expect showers the next 2 days...i'm putting down 30-year Timberline so I'm hoping this isn't a problem. Is it? How long can you leave down felt before you put the shingles on?

Thanks....

Old 10-10-02, 09:04 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Installing roofing felt

Was recommended nailing pattern used for felt?

http://www.roofhelp.com/nailing12_24.htm

Roofing underlayment can withstand exposure for a few days. However, if it gets wet, the felt may wrinkle up a bit and that increases its chances of tearing by wind.

Make sure roof and shingles are thoroughly dry before installing shingles. If shingles, underlayment, or decking material are installed wet, then problems your roof may develop blistering, mold, mildew and cause premature deterioration of the shingles.

Old 10-11-02, 04:22 AM
B
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Twelvepole:
Years ago I heard that if the felt wrinkled too much, there was a possibility the wrinkles could telegraph thru the shingles and show up. This was back in the days when we specified the old 235# shingle. Has this changed? Does the use of the heavier Timberline shingles make a difference?

Bruce

Old 10-11-02, 06:02 AM
T
Roofing felt

Manufacturers of shingles recommend that the shingles should be applied as soon as possible after the application of the underlayment felt. Felt is not intended for prolonged exposure. Shingles should be applied the same day as the underlayment application to avoid wetting and wrinkling. Underlayment should be visually inspected and, if wet, wrinkled, faded, or damaged, it should be removed and replaced with new underlayment.

For residential installation tips of Timberline shingles, go to
www.gaff.com.

Old 10-15-02, 07:17 PM
pktaske
Visiting Guest
As a follow up, we had downpours for 3 straight days on the felt paper...next day after it stopped and dried I went out to look at the roof..to my surprise, felt was flat and taut...nicer than when we first put it down...nice...(remember that it had gotten all lumpy and wrinkled before the rain came).

Old 10-16-02, 02:44 AM
T
Felt paper

Bravo!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: