Curling - I need the REAL scoop...

Old 10-11-02, 11:19 AM
pktaske
Visiting Guest
Curling - I need the REAL scoop...

We had several contractors look at our house...severe curling on the front slope and some on the back...I was amazed at the variety of their answers when I asked if the original roof (only 1 layer) needed to be taken off...some said you never need to take off a first roof...others said the entire thing needs to come off..some said just take off the front and leave the back...

I decided to do the job myself and took off the front (it was pretty bad---brittle as heck, but no leaks)...I was planning on shingling over the back roof without having to take it off...now I'm wondering if thats a good idea. Again, I'm using 30 year Timberlines.

If I decide to leave it on, how do I approach the curling sections on the roof? Some suggested all curled edges should be flattened (they crumble) and swept.

Also - On a roof-over, do I cut the old shingle drip edges on the eaves and rakes flush with the house or leave them overhang?

Old 10-11-02, 07:19 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
In my non-professional opinion, you should strip off the shingles on the back side also. For all the work it will take to flatten the curled shingles, you might as well do it right. A strip off will let you get down to a nice flat surface, and the end result will look better. If you are investing in 30 yr shingles, I assume you're staying in the house for a while.

A roofer friend of mine says he advises a roof-over only to owners that are planning to sell.

Old 10-11-02, 08:38 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Overlaying

Overlaying tends to shorten the life expectancy of shingles and may void your warranty as well as create other problems. I agree that you should do the job right the first time. A licensed roofing contractor would not recommended overlaying.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: