roofing

Old 10-16-02, 08:31 PM
billybabe
Visiting Guest
roofing

I hired a roofer who installed a new roof using Timberline 300 Architectural shingles. He used "rubberoid" on the back because the back is more flat than sloped. On the front he used the rubberoid for three feet as an ice and water barrier, but I noticed he laid the shingles directly onto the plywood after that. On his estimate he indicated 15lb tar paper but I never saw him use it. Is the tar paper supposed to go down under the shingles?

The second questionable move was that I had him replace my fixed skylight so that I would have a manual venting skylight. The issue at hand is that the new window looks much smaller and actually was narrower than the old one. My concern was that the sides didn't drop in and I could see the sky through the sides. He caulked it and said it would be fine. Did he order the wrong size or does this seem reasonable?

Thanks bunches, Donna

Last edited by billybabe; 10-18-02 at 06:38 AM.
Old 10-19-02, 09:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Yes, the tar paper (roofing felt) is supposed go down on the roof sheathing before (under) the shingles. If he quoted it, he should have installed it.
That skylight installation is not right, either. There should be flashing all around it. Caulk will not seal it right by itself.
I hope that you haven't paid this guy yet.
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: