Reapair To Roof

Old 10-18-02, 09:55 AM
WillinNJ
Visiting Guest
Reapair To Roof

My house has a solar panel on the roof installed by the previous owner. The panel is falling apart so I am having a contractor come out to remove it from the roof.

When the panel is removed it is going to leave thee holes in the roof. Two of the holes are from where the frame of the panel was bolted through the roof to the rafters underneath. The one larger hole will be from a baffled opening where water lines went from the panel through the roof and eventually to the basement.

My contractor works with the solar equipment so he is familiar with the panel, the water lines and pumps and is going to disconnect all that from the house, but he says he doesn't do roof repairs. He said he would nail sheet metal over the holes and then caulk the sheet metal to the remaining shingles.

Then what do I do? In the contractor's words the repair will be water-tight but not permanent. And he said it will look ugly.

He suggested I hire a roofer to come out and finish the job. Does that seem like the right person to bring in or should I look for a general contractor?

There is only one layer of shingles on the roof because the shingles were replaced about two years ago (according to the previous owner). And I have a sample book that indicates the style of the shingle so I could possibly order more for the sake of the replaced shingles looking right.

Old 10-18-02, 01:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Your roofing contractor didn't leave any matching leftover shingles for repairs?
You probably won't get an exact color match, even with the same brand and color, but get a single bundle just "like" them and replace the shingles over the holes.
Remove the shingles with the holes. Use plastic roofing cement around the holes and tack a piece of metal over the holes.
Raise the shingles above to nail down the new replacement shingles.
It's not a big job. You'll see what I'm talking about when you get up there.
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: