Fixing the Attic Roof above the Garage

Old 10-23-02, 12:25 PM
san3006
Visiting Guest
Angry Fixing the Attic Roof above the Garage

I was in the Attic storing in some stuff which is above the Garage. I slipped and Landed on the Roof and heard a breaking sound. My foot slipped from the beam and cracked the Roof. When I came down I can see a big Crack on the roof now. How do i fix it? The roof looks like a single piece of Plank.

Thanks

Old 10-25-02, 06:25 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I believe you are referring to your garage ceiling. You usually can't slip and fall from the attic to the roof. I'm not sure from your post what the ceiling material is. You refer to a single piece of plank. Is this sheetrock (drywall material), or some type of wood material - plywood, paneling, etc? A little more information will permit us to respond with repair suggestions for your specific situation.

Old 10-28-02, 07:36 AM
san3006
Visiting Guest
Look like Dry wall materical as in a Knock down celing. There is a huge crack there not yet a hole

Thanks

Old 10-28-02, 07:52 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
San - if you only have a crack in the surface of the drywall at this point, then the structural repair should be fairly simple. From the attic area lay a board above the crack holding it flat against the back of the drywall while an assistant runs a few drywall screws through the damaged material into the plank overhead, pulling it into alignment. The crack can then be repaired from below in the usual manner - tape imbedded in mud, etc. If you have a knock-down finish on the ceiling, you will need to scrape it off first in the area of the repair so it won't interfere with the taping process. But then that leaves the finish repair which is sometimes tough to get to match an existing finish.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: