Rafter Length

Old 11-01-02, 05:08 PM
Shaman_C
Visiting Guest
Question Rafter Length

Hi I'm attempting to build an outbuilding the size is 8 ft long 8 ft wide and 6 ft walls the question I have is the measurements of the 2x4's that the roof panels will be laying on. I want the walls to be 6 ft high then the roof be 2 more ft. I know the 2x4 across the walls will be 8 ft and the corner 2x4's will be 8 ft with the center 2x4 going from floor to roof being 8 ft. But I'm confused on the length I should cut the 2x4's going from the top wall to the point of the roof. can someone tell the formula for getting the proper measurement, or tell me how long those boards should be? Thanks
Connor

Old 11-03-02, 06:17 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
you should buy a swanson speed square.with it comes a book that gives you you rafter lengths and degrees of the cuts after you figure you desired pitch of roof.if i knew what pitch you wanted, needed i cuold figure it for you but your better off doing it yourself.that way if you mess it up,nobody to blame but yoursel lol

Old 11-03-02, 05:18 PM
chukmac
Visiting Guest
shaman--Formula you need is as follows: The hypotenuse of a right triangle is equal to the square root of the sum of the two squares. Confusing? Actually is easy-- triangle is half the width of house (4 ft) x the extra height in center (2 ft), so 4x4 (16) + 2x2 (4) =20. square root of 20 is 4.472. 4 ft 6 in should be close enough unless an engineer is checking. Hope this helps.
chuck

Old 11-05-02, 08:53 AM
Shaman_C
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up 4'6"

so the cut would be 4'6" from the roff edge to the tip of the roof top. and you cut 2 for each rafter...correct?....sounds good enough...thanks....now I can figure up how much wood i need to buy for it.

Old 11-05-02, 10:15 AM
chukmac
Visiting Guest
rafters

Correct--just be sure to add for overhang, if any.
chuck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: