What is the Minimum pitch for roof shingles!

Old 11-08-02, 06:14 AM
vwpowr
Visiting Guest
What is the Minimum pitch for roof shingles!

I am confused a little and would appreciate some help.

I have a very shallow pitch roof that currently has rolled roofing on it. Pitch is 1.5" for every 12".

Roof has one minor leak when there is heavy rain over an extended period of time, plus it looks old and is cracking. I was hoping I could put some roof cement/leak sealer on any spots that were suspect to leaking, and then just roof over the rolled roofing with regular roof shingles to match the rest of the house.

I was told by a few people, that this would prob work fine, and look 100 times better.

I would just like to get some opinions on the matter!

Thanks a bunch!

Old 11-08-02, 05:29 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile Minimum pitch

The standard minimum pitch for shingles is 4" on 12".
Most roofing manufacturers will warranty their shingle on slopes of 2" to 4" on 12", but only if you have double felt protection (or an ice & water shield) underneath the shingles.

If I use shingles on a low slope (2"- 4" on 12"), I use an ice and watershield underneath. It is a roof in itself, but cannot be exposed to the sunlight. The shingles will protect the ice and watershield from the sun and you will adequate waterproofing underneath.

Keep in mind, shingles are water SHEDDERS, not water PROOFERS.
If water doesn't run off the roof fast enough, it WILL backup under the shingles.

An ice and water shield product under shingles that are on a 1.5" on 12" "might" work, but there is NOT a manufacturer on the planet that will warranty their shingle on it.
I would use a torch/mop/cold-process modified roof on it. (Although there are other ways that will work)

Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: