Roof Intersects with House Siding

Old 11-12-02, 12:10 PM
tgustafs
Visiting Guest
Roof Intersects with House Siding

I'm roofing a porch that intersects at a right angle with the gable end of my house. I need instructions on how to tie the roofing in with the siding where they intersect. I've been told to use step flashing, but I don't know the best way to do this.

Thanks,

Tom

Old 11-12-02, 02:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

To do step flashing properly, you will have to remove the lower part of the siding so that you can put half of the step flashing pieces under it (other half of piece over shingle).
Step flashing is tinsnip-cut from 12" wide roll flashing (aluminum is what I use) in 6" wide strips (doesn't have to be exact), bent at 90 degrees at the middle, and the strips are laid over each edge of a row of shingles butted against the wall...half up the wall and half over the shingles.
Some seal under them with black plastic roofing cement in addition to nailing them to the wall and over the top of the shingle row.
Lay a row of shingles, install a piece of step flashing, lay the next row up over it, and so on as you go up the roof.
Hope that my explanation wasn't too confusing.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 11-13-02, 08:43 AM
tgustafs
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply - that helps a lot. I'm dealing with 40 year old Redwood siding that is very fragile. The siding is cut to just barely fit the sheathing and felt paper under it, so I'm not sure how to get the flashing behind the siding without damaging it. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Old 11-13-02, 09:03 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

In order for the step flashing to fit up under the siding, you're going to have to loosen it or remove it.
Is is nailed on vertical or horizontal?
To remove it, carefully sink the siding nails through the redwood with a straight shank punch the size of the nailheads.
It should have tar paper or something under it, and the step flashing slipped under the tar paper.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 11-13-02, 11:26 AM
tgustafs
Visiting Guest
OK - it is horizontally applied. Do I just need to get it loose close to the roof or remove the entire piece of siding? I'm concerned about cracking it.

Tom

Old 11-13-02, 12:08 PM
tgustafs
Visiting Guest
One more question:

Do the shingles need to butt up against the siding or should the siding be cut above the sheathing to allow the shingles to slide under the siding?

Thanks!

Tom

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: