Roofing Shinglels

Old 12-01-02, 03:23 PM
wishiknew
Visiting Guest
Question Roofing Shinglels

We got an estimate for roofing from a local company. The brand they would use is Elk. We have Elk roofing now but the 50 year warrantee is cancelled because this particular type should not be on a low pitch roof [our is 12], he said.

One of the many problems is that when it rains there are little black specks from the roof all over the ground.

We mentioned that and said with the proper roofing we wouldn't have that happen, right? His answer was, "That happens with all shingles."

Is that true? Anyone have roofing shingles that do NOT shed?

We will be getting another estimate from someone else this week. Anyone know what the important questions are?

This is our first time dealing with roofing.

All help and suggestions will be appreciated.

Lynette

Old 12-02-02, 03:45 AM
Roofdog
Visiting Guest
when YOU buy a roof you should be able to get what ever brand YOU want NOT just what they use,as for the pitch of your roof i would need a little more information for example a 5/12 pitch is low and 4/12 pitch is lower,4/12 pitch and lower probably shouldn`t have shingles on it any way,
Roofers should have lincence and insurance,you want to look at the warranty of the shingles your`re getting and make sure they are installed properly,
Grit will come off the shingles after they are installed for awhile because of the guys walking on them,if alot of grit is coming off your existing shingles its probably from heat buildup,unless your shingles are old,
ask to look at some of there other roofs they did nearby,also talk to the homeowner.

Old 12-02-02, 02:07 PM
wishiknew
Visiting Guest
Roofdog, Thank you for your reply. We have never purchased a roof before and we appreciate your thoughts. The roof is 4/12. Sorry I left that out. We want to put on a roof that will last as we are retired and will be spending the rest of our lives in this house.

The current roof was installed a few months before we bought this house in 1994. Sun beats on itfrom dawn to dusk, pretty much year round. Some of the shingles are buckling and ragged looking. No leaks yet but it looks crappy. The exposure to heat is probably what makes the grit come off in rainy windy weather.

Since you know your stuff about roofing, what would you suggest? This is a craftsman cottage built in 1924. We want something that is appropriate - don't want to put on just any old thing. Willing to spend a little more and have the right look for the time period in which the house was built.

Would really like to know what you think. We are open to suggestion. Thanks again for taking your time to respond.

Lynette

Old 12-03-02, 03:32 AM
Roofdog
Visiting Guest
the only thing i`ve heard about california is that the heat takes it toll on ashfalt roofs,and out there the only lasting roof would be a tile roof(slate or clay)you would have to talk to a roofer there,maybe call the roofers union hall,i`m pretty sure theres one in san diego,sorry i couldn`t be more help,maybe someone at the hall can be more helpful.

Old 12-03-02, 04:25 AM
wishiknew
Visiting Guest
roofdog, you have been a big help. Because of you we realize that we need to educate ourselves. So far, found out that the roof is a little under 4/12 and proper installation revolves around the pitch. Catagories are 2/12, 3/12 to 4/12 and 4/12 and up. We fall in the second catagory - that's important.

At this point we are researching on the web all the different materials, slate, clay and metal, among them.

The problems we have with the current roof are all due to improper installation so we know now to be sure whoever installs the new roof does it the right way.

Will call the union hall. That's another great suggestion. Would never have thought of that on our own.

Thanks again for being really helpful and keep up the good work helping others.

My husband was born in Buffalo and may have some cousins there. Hope your weather will not be too bad this year. Remember the year when the police department couldn't find some of their cars because of the severe snow storms?

Take Care,
Lynette

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: