ice dams

Old 12-03-02, 12:49 PM
lrssms
Visiting Guest
ice dams

What's the best material to use under shingles to help minimize water damage from ice dams. I have cathedral ceilings so I don't think I can improve the ventilation. I have to replace the entire roof soon and plan to lower the R rating in the insulation inorder to increase the air flow. Any thoughts?

Old 12-03-02, 06:01 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Use an "Ice and Water Shield".
All of the major roofing manufacturers have their own version of it.
TAMKO has Moisture Guard, GAF has Weather Watch, Owens Corning, Atlas, Certainteed, Atlas, etc......
Check with your local roofing distributor. they should carry at least one of these brands.

Old 12-04-02, 05:05 AM
lrssms
Visiting Guest
does this work?

Does this product work well? Do you know the life span of the product? Will it continue to work through out the 20-25 year life span of the shingles on top or will it dry out?

Do you know of any other products that may be more recently available?

I am not affraid to explore newer technology.

Old 12-04-02, 01:17 PM
This material will work just fine and last the period that you desire. It only needs to be covered as to not be exposed to the sunlight because the UV rays will breakdown the product. The shingles (or other roofing materials) will be covering the product.
However, these products are not used as often down here in Texas. These type products are specified on all roofs in many areas throughout the central and northeast part of the country where ice damming is much more frequent.
Maybe someone from the northeastern part of the country can add to this post. There may be better/newer technology up there that we don't need down here.
Good luck.

Old 12-08-02, 06:38 AM
Roofdog
Visiting Guest
ice sheild works great for the ice dams but the problem is in the ventilation,if these are catherial ceilings each rafter has to breath,you must have baffels between each rafter,the insulation must not touch the roof decking,also its a very good idea to fold the ice sheild down over the facia board at least 3 inches so the ice won`t get up under the ice sheild.

Old 12-09-02, 06:49 AM
lrssms
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the replies

can the material be folded up - specifically round the chimney. Mine is made of wood.

Old 12-09-02, 07:56 AM
Roofdog
Visiting Guest
just fold it tight to the edge of what your putting it on,then take the paper off,you`ll still need to put something over it, if your just using that on your chimney.

Old 12-09-02, 09:34 AM
M
I didn't see it spelled out in the earlier posts, but ice/water shields should be applied to valleys, eaves, and around chimneys and vent pipes. Unless you just won the lottery, you probably won't want to put it everywhere (the GAF stuff is $50 a roll here in Indiana).

It's good looking material, you'll probably think to yourself, "Do I really need to put shingles on top of this stuff?" The answer of course is yes.

Old 12-10-02, 09:23 AM
lrssms
Visiting Guest
http://www.metalroofing.com

what about products like this

http://www.metalroofing.com

cooler than asphalt
40-60 life

Would sheet panels would hand ice dam problems?

product was featured on todays homeowner on NBC today

It seems the comparative cost capitalized over 40-60 years makes it cheaper than regular asphalt and ice shield.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: