metal flashing needed ??

Old 12-04-02, 04:44 PM
choocad
Visiting Guest
metal flashing needed ??

have 1986 ranch home atl, ga area am replacing roof, old one does not have metal flashing in valleys or around chimney, AM going with GAF Soverign 3 Tab shingles, was under impression that proper roofs have metal flashing at these areas before felt and shinglesare installed. Exovations contrator did not mentin installing these only Storm Guard Water Proofing , sealant in valleys and around chimney should I insist on these being included ??? I plan to stay here a while thanks ,, JOE WHITE

Old 12-08-02, 06:26 AM
Roofdog
Visiting Guest
well...in the valley, if they are putting something that sticks to the wood decking like ice sheild and then running one side of the valley at least 1 foot past the valley and then the other side should be cut in a straight line from top to bottom(in valley) it should be fine,(hard to discribe in words) the chimney should have metal flashing,if it does now,(before they start) they should be replacing it,its part of the whole roof system,they can`t just tar it.(tar only lasts about 5 years) what ever you have on your roof now is what they should be replacing,if they want to charge you for extras look for another roofing contractor or call your local roofers union hall.

Old 12-08-02, 01:07 PM
choocad
Visiting Guest
Roofdog,, thanks for the information. If I can help you with a car type question, let me know. I have 21yrs dealership exp ( service end ) with Cadillac, and am somewhat knowledegable about other GM lines. Haven't tried this forum stuff before but, is interesting.. Again, Thanks.. Joe White choocad@attbi.com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: