Shingle roof - time to replace?

Old 01-03-03, 07:51 PM
Pat McCarthy
Visiting Guest
Question Shingle roof - time to replace?

Question:

I have a frame house with a peaked roof that has typical asphalt shingles.

When my house was last re-roofed (by previous owner), the new shingles were apparently laid right on top of the old shingles. Someone once told me that this is bad (old shingles should have been stripped off), and a roofing contractor told me that my roof has a life expectancy of only 10 years. (Had the old shingles been removed, I'd get 20 years out of the roof.)

Would like to know if this is indeed the case.

Info about what to look for in a roofing contractor (and what brands of materials are good or bad) would be a great bonus!

(Incidentally, my roof probably IS about 10 years old, and I already have a leak in one spot!)

Thanks!

Old 01-04-03, 01:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Installing new shingles over old is called a "layover", and one layover is acceptable to code in most places.
However, it WILL shorten the life of the new shingles, and in some cases, may void the warranty.
To do a new roof:
A. First, select the shingles that you want. You get what you pay for. Longer-life warranties by name-brand manufacturers are the way to go.
B. Get three bids from reputable roofing contractors, and check their references. The cheapest isn't always necessarily the best.
Good Luck!
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: