Roofing Mfg wants to take pictures and...

Old 01-23-03, 02:27 AM
wishiknew
Visiting Guest
Roofing Mfg wants to take pictures and...

Roofing contractor came today and had a factory rep with him. The rep mentioned in conversation that if we picked this stainless steel made by Atas he was going to take pictures from every angle and send them to industry magazines. He said we would be the first in our county to have this particular roof. Are we guinea pigs? It really wasn't part of the sales pitch, in a sense, because we already knew we wanted a stainless steel roof. The contractor has an excellent reputation. Wouldn't we have to sign a release so the rep can do what he says? I'm confused. Maybe if this makes me uncomforable I should just tell them no pictures. What do you think?

I've gotten great help here before and really appreciate responses. Thanks all.

Old 01-23-03, 05:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

The manufacturer's rep probably should get you to sign a release if the photos are taken from on your property, but anyone can take photos of your house from off your property without your express permission, so what is there to worry about?
They're just trying to show their product in a favorable use, and if you were to EVER have problems with it, it might make them rush back faster to correct it. LOL
Mike

Old 01-23-03, 02:16 PM
wishiknew
Visiting Guest
Roofing Mfg.

Thanks, Mike, for your reply. Looks like we need to see a release and see what it covers.

Old 01-23-03, 07:47 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

A manufacture MUST get a signed release from you before they can publish any pictures of your home. Like "Old Guy" said, anyone can take a picture of it, but for a manufacturer to use it for anything, they MUST have a legal release signed by the homeowner.
That said, I would not worry about it. Anytime a manufacturer wants a picture of of a roof, he wants to use it to sell more roofs. They may never publish it in any magazines, but may just show it to other roofers and/or homeowners to show how nice the product actually looks ON a roof.....not just on a sample board.
You must have a nice show home for a manufacturer to want a picture.
If you have a nice show home for that product, I would be flattered. Most mfgs offer at least $100.00 for the signed release...I would get it.
If, however, you have a broken down shack with no view of the roof,....I would begin to wonder why they want a picture of it.
Good luck.

Old 01-27-03, 05:02 AM
wishiknew
Visiting Guest
You gave me something to think about. Now that I consider the situation more I think the guy is just blowing smoke. He's very young and maybe was trying to impress us. We're not easily impressed. The house is not a showplace yet. When the roof is done we will paint and do a complete landscape job. Then it will truly be a gem. Doubt they would want to come back in three months to take pictures.

By the way, I didn't mean country I meant county. You probably realized that. <grin>

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: