install ridge and soffit vents

Old 01-24-03, 05:52 AM
bmmiller
Visiting Guest
install ridge and soffit vents

OK I have 4 cans on my roof for venting and it is not nearly enough. I have researched attic ventilation and it seems that the best way to get air flow would be a ridge vent and soffit vents, is this true? I don't have soffits but I have a guy that says he can cut into the roof a couple of feet above the gutters and install a vent there along the length of the house, sort of a soffit vent without soffits. Can I get peoples opinion on this? Does this sound like a good idea to have this installed in my house or should I just install more can vents?

Old 01-25-03, 03:41 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You did not mention what kind of or style of home you have. this is kind of important for a good answer. I know there are many good ways to get ventilation balanced for an attic area. I am one guy who hates to cut a hole in a perfectly good roof. Something about water running down hill I guess. Oh I know some of you guys will say it will seal good, but once you cut a hole, you have a hole.

Old 01-26-03, 11:40 AM
bmmiller
Visiting Guest
I have a two story brick colonial. I was just talking to a neighbor last night and he suggested something where they install a vent just above the gutter. You don't have to cut a hole in the roof because there is already and opening there where the roof meets the wall. I have to look into this a little more but I like the sound of this better.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: