Leaking Valley

Old 01-29-03, 01:57 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leaking Valley

I have notice a leak in a valley over my garage. It looks like the last roof was layed over the original roofing and the valley wasn't replaced. From the ground it looks like the valley has some rust in it. The roof is in good shape, about 10 or 11 years old.
The question is can a valley be repaired without ripping the roof up around it?

Old 01-29-03, 05:05 PM
Blackjack?

Years ago I was faced with the same problem and fortunately the damage in the valley was very obvious. I swept the gutters and collected as much of the roofing grandules as I could. Then I used lots of blackjack roofing tar in the valley and sprinkled the granules on pushing it into the tar. The granules matched the existing shingles so the repairs weren't toooooo obvious. Three years later when we sold the house the repairs were still holding up.

Old 01-31-03, 08:24 AM
I forgot to say the valley was metal.

Old 02-04-03, 01:34 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
roof leak

Years back--- did it all the time and still do. Take and put down a thin coat of heavy roof cement. Then take and cut up a T shirt or some other rag. Work it in some with your hands, "its a messs"
and then put a thin coat of the cement over the rag so you dont see it. This will be there when your gone. if you can work this up under all of the other shingles edge that come into the valley ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: