4 vs 6 nails in Los Angeles, California?

Old 02-04-03, 03:15 PM
kickindaspeaker
Visiting Guest
4 vs 6 nails in Los Angeles, California?

California is not well known for its tornados, however we do get pretty strong winds from time to time here in the Valley. However, the roofer I want to go with insists that 4 nails per shingle (Elk) is enough. He says even in Malibu Beach that would be enough, and he pretends that 6 nails/shingle is just another trick from other contractors to get more business, but that "it's like painting a wall with 7 coats instead of 3", meaning totally unnecessary.

What do you think?

Old 02-04-03, 06:37 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Most roofing manufacturers only require 4 nails per shingle. If the nails are fastened in the proper place , they will actually go through that particular shingle as well as the shingle beneath it. In essence, each shingle should then have 8 nails per shingle.
Manufacturers will require 6 nails when the shingles are applied on very steep slopes. Sometimes they may require 6 nails in high-wind areas. You will need to check if you are in a designated high-wind area. They may also enhance their wind warranty IF 6 nails are applied.
I would read the shingle wrapper. It should tell you what is required.
You could also check the mfg website.

Some contractors would say "the more nails in your shingle, the better" , while others will argue "the less holes in your roof, the better."

Your roofer is not off-base on this. Check with the manufacturer.

Old 02-04-03, 08:27 PM
kickindaspeaker
Visiting Guest
Thanks. I checked Elk's website and they say 4 nails unless the pitch is really high, which it's not. I guess the roofer knows his stuff

Old 02-05-03, 02:54 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
myself i think the less holes the better but.......the people that know better than me(25+)yrs of doing it,say that in carteret county north carolina you will have six nails per.not even tenn mins down the road,in craven county 4 is fine.se fla (may have changed since i was there)palm beach county 4 is fine my opinion is 4 is fine unless its a mansard and then they have to be placed right to have any effect

Old 02-05-03, 03:34 PM
kickindaspeaker
Visiting Guest
Right. Thanks for your opinion. I'm now reassured that he's not using just 4 to "cut corners"

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: