Clay Tile - Repair Or ReRoof?

Old 02-23-03, 03:14 PM
RobertB
Visiting Guest
Question Clay Tile - Repair Or ReRoof?

Less than a year ago we purchased 15 year old home in Southern California. At time of purchase inspector mentioned a few broken tiles, nothing more.

We have a couple of heavy rains in last two months, and discovered numerous leaks, one next to chimney was "waterfalling" through attic at height of downpour.

I have had two roofers look, and am inviting bids from at least one more. The first two roofers agreed (without any prompting from me) that the "mud" or "cement" sealing around the penetrations needs to be replaced with double flashing. The chimney, although flashed, has enough defects to explain the "waterfall".

The real issue is whether the roof should also be relaid. One roofer noted that the tiles were "stretched" about 3/8th of an inch at each row - probably so the original roofer could reach the crown without having to install a row of less than full sized tiles.

There is big difference between flashing, and reflashing chimney, and relaying entire roof. I would appreciate all suggestions for helping make this decision.

Many thanks to all the professionals out there who support this site.

Robert

Old 02-23-03, 04:05 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I both roofers agreed to your problem, then have it fixed their way. They are the pro's. I you go the least expensive route, you may get another leak soon and then you would be mad. Get their opinions on your roof. You should not have a stretched roof, and the original roofer should not have done one. Good Luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: