Water damage on roof

Old 03-01-03, 10:10 AM
bdodd444
Visiting Guest
Water damage on roof

My roof is still under warranty and has a leak in the seal around one of the vents. The roofing company said they are coming out to patch the leak. However, the plywood underneath is water stained. Should I insist they replace this or is it ok? The wood is not rotten, but I'm afraid of the water damage and appearance for resale. I don't want to be unreasonable, but their leak caused the damage. Any feed back is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 03-01-03, 11:03 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

If the plywood is solid, and the leak is sealed promptly, don't worry about the water stain.
It won't affect your home re-sale.
To test the plywood, poke it with a screwdriver to make sure that it's solid. If it flakes off, then have it replaced.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 03-01-03, 03:08 PM
bdodd444
Visiting Guest
Preparing to poke!! Thanks for the help!
Brian

Old 03-02-03, 06:26 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
One thing you negelected to tell us, was how old your roofing is.
It does make a difference in our answer, but Old Guy is right with the screwdriver test. My question is how can you see the plywood unless the shingles are all off around the vent, or unless you pulled them back.

Old 03-02-03, 07:46 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
kinda think they would see it from the attic

Old 03-02-03, 02:15 PM
bdodd444
Visiting Guest
Roof's 18 months old and I'm seeing it from attic.

Old 03-05-03, 11:58 AM
It Wasn't Me!
Visiting Guest
If your roof sheathing is OSB (Oriented Strand Board) it will look like chips of wood, I would be careful because it absorbs moisture on the edges and swells. I have seen 1/2 inch swell to almost twice the thickness and it will never go back to the original thickness. This part does not pertain to the question its just a little more info: I have contacted the manufacture's of OSB and talked to them about the problem of the edges swelling before the application of felt, which happens alot if the roof sheathing is not covered before it rains. And they told me all you have to do is lightly sand the edges....YEA RIGHT!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: