Old 03-03-03, 04:33 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

Moisture is seeping in through the outside wall into the interior wall, which is causing mold, and damage to the framing inside. I have removed the sheetrock, but need to know how to stop moisture from coming in through the edge of the cement floor. The soil has already been moved away and sloped from the house, but I believe that rainwater, or runoff from the hill above is causing it, I don't know how to change the runoff, so is there any suggestions on protecting the house?
Old 03-03-03, 08:27 PM
Frank99's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Rockland, New York
Posts: 329
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You can install a french drain or a swale to dirrect the water away from the house.

a french drain is a trench dug into the ground(2 feet) a perferated pipe installed and gravel up to ground level.

a swale is a shallow depression cut into the ground.
Old 03-03-03, 08:29 PM
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Taylors, SC
Posts: 9,261
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Generally, gutter, grading, and drains are the most comprehensive approach. If the water is coming from off your property, a drain may be the best way to divert it. If the hill is large enough and far enough away from the house, perhaps a trench or swale would be the way to go.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: