Time for a new roof

Old 03-26-03, 12:19 PM
Dana_D
Visiting Guest
Question Time for a new roof

Hi, we live in a 34 year old home with a 2 layer roof. The second layer is 15-18 years old, and several people have told me that it needs to be replaced, including our recent insulation contractor. I had a roofing estimate today. The person said that he would recommend snapping off the tabs of the second roof layer and putting new shingles up over them. (and an ice and water shield too) He said our roof could hold the weight of 2 1/2 layers of shingles just fine. He also gave us an esimate to strip the entire roof and start over, if we wanted to do that, ($1500-2000 more). We live in Central New York, the snow capitol of the US. It is safe and acceptable to do it this way? We would appreciate any help you could give us.

Old 03-26-03, 03:25 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
extra roof

I wouldn't do it, I consider it an unacceptable practice. Most homes I've seen aren't framed to accept the weight. What does code say in your town? It's also a good idea to get down to decking and inspect it, also ad ridge vents, but most roofs I've watched being installed aren't done correctly.
slumlord

Old 03-26-03, 06:48 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tear the roof off down to the deck.
It will be well worth the extra money.
You're only asking for trouble if you go over the existing roof.

Old 03-26-03, 09:36 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
Shoddy job, and would not pass code in most areas.

Old 03-27-03, 02:31 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dana: Do not listen to this contractor. This is almost like an old con that used to be going around years ago. Do a complete tear off as mentioned before. However, DO NOT put a ridge vent on your home. You live in NY and this is not a good idea in your part of the country. It is better to do in the south, but not in the north.
Good Luck PS Do not use this contractor either.

Old 03-27-03, 09:52 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
Jack makes an excellent point about the ridge vents. I have read of several cases of ridge vents allowing quite a bit of snow in. If you are in Bufallo or Rochester, or anywhere with the lake effect, just forget it.

Old 03-28-03, 10:45 AM
Dana_D
Visiting Guest
Hi, thanks for all the great information. We will not use the 3 layer roof contractor, my gut told me his suggestions were not good. We had another estimate yesterday, from a CertainTeed certified roofer, who suggested a complete tear off, but did suggest roof ridge vents (With some sort of covering). By the way, we live in Syracuse, NY. Any more input about the roof ridge vents vs. the other type? (We have 5 regular vents on the back of the roof now. Thanks a lot! Dana

Old 03-28-03, 01:45 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Re-roofing and vents

I'm glad to see there is some disagreement about ridge vents, I'm one of those that think this is the way to achieve progress. While it's true that ridge and soffit vents do quite a bit to ventilate the heat out of attics in the south, they also keep moisture out of attics, WHEN INSTALLED PROPERLY.
If someone is getting snow into their ridge vents they weren't installed correctly. Our house in Colorado, and every house in that neighborhood built in the past 6 or so years, has ridge and soffit vents. My next door neighbor claimed that his house in Alaska had them.
When you write about the "regular" type of vents that you have now, do you mean the whirlybirds, or air hawks (look like hood scoops on a car)? For them to adequately vent your attic you would probably need almost a continuos line of them. Also on the whirlybirds, ask yourself the following: How come on the hottest day of the year I don't see them spinning? Also, have you ever stood in your attic, under the whirlybird in a heavy rain? It's like taking a shower.
frank

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: