French Drains..............

Old 03-27-03, 06:37 PM
bugsmeso
Visiting Guest
French Drains..............

exactly how does a French Drain work. I have a company going to do some MAJOR draining around my building..........to relieve ground water. This person tells me that a pipe with holes all around it, is laid into the trench and water runs through it.
MY thoughts are...............if holes are on the bottom and around the entire pipe.........how is the water to drain through the pipe......would it not go to the next hole a flow out? Now I did ask a few suppliers this evening and the have 2-hole pipe and 3-hole pie 2 hole goes a 3 & 9 o'clock and the 3 hole goes at 8 12 and 4 o'clock
Any in put would be greatly appreciated

Old 03-27-03, 06:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

A French drain is a trench with "drain tile" pipe with holes in it buried in gravel to carry away ground water flowing against (and maybe under) the building (usually from uphill).
When layed properly, the top half of the drain tile pipe will have the two or three holes to allow water in, and the bottom half of the drain tile will carry it away.
The drain pipe should be sloped slightly so that the water will flow away by gravity to be discharged into a storm sewer, sump or drainage ditch.
Water takes the path of least resistance, and will readily flow through the gravel INTO the pipe through the holes, but not have enough pressure to push it back out of the holes usually, but out the end of the pipe.
If you have a ground water problem, a properly installed French drain should help solve it.
About the only problem that might develop with them over time is dirt or roots getting into the drain tile and clogging it. To prevent the first, you can get a fabric "sleeve" that fits over the drain tile, and the little bit of extra upfront cost for the fabric would be worth it. To prevent the latter don't plant anything over it, and don't allow grass to grow over it.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 04-03-03, 06:36 AM
JP2
Visiting Guest
French drain

I have a French in my home. I can tell you that I will never buy another home here in New England unless it has a French drain, or I intend to install one. It's money well spent. They work great.

Jeanne

Old 04-04-03, 04:32 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I also have a French Drain, installed inside around the whole perimeter of my Basement. I,ve had it for 6 years and never had any water come in. I live in New england and also would not get a house without one.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: