Reroofing a flat roof

Old 02-03-00, 02:53 PM
Visiting Guest
We are reroofing a low pitched roof. There are two layers of composition (the wrong material for our pitch) and it is leaking in 2 places. We have bids from some roofers. One roofer says he can put his PVC Vinyl product directly over the existing roof without tear-off. The other says that cannot be done with his product and doesn't know how it could even be done. The manufacturers are different and the first manufacturer DOES say that their product can be put over an existing roof. They both have excellent warranties. The first is much less expensive. Any idea what we should do?

Old 02-07-00, 08:52 AM
Visiting Guest
If the contractor and the product company sing the same song, maybe they're both right. A warranty is good as long as someone backs it up.

I've not used the roofing that you are contemplating, but we almost used it our house for the same application.

Instead, I remodeled the roof and built it up to a 5:12 pitch. No more leaks.

------------------
MTAC - VB,MO
www.carpenter.cjb.net
Home repair & Construction

"Where the character and work are always upright"

Old 02-07-00, 08:52 AM
Visiting Guest
If the contractor and the product company sing the same song, maybe they're both right. A warranty is good as long as someone backs it up.

I've not used the roofing that you are contemplating, but we almost used it our house for the same application.

Instead, I remodeled the roof and built it up to a 5:12 pitch. No more leaks.

------------------
MTAC - VB,MO
www.carpenter.cjb.net
Home repair & Construction

"Where the character and work are always upright"

Old 02-06-05, 10:02 AM
E
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Although it's a chunk more to strip off, I would reccomend you have it done. This is the time that any potential rot can be fixed. Secondly, any of the so-called single-ply membrane products are not to be used over a surface which may contain moisture. This is not to be taken as a reccomendation to go with the party who reccomended to you that it be stripped, necessarily...........but another thing to keep in mind is that many local codes only allow a maximum of 2 layers on a "flat or flatter-pitched" area.
Bottom line, KNOW your roofer. Make the effort to investigate his/her workmanship with customers he'she should have already pleased.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: