shingled roof

Old 03-03-00, 08:27 PM
Visiting Guest
I have a two story house with vinyl siding. My problem is that the drywall above the fireplace looks like a beerbelly. Based on this problem, and a hailstorm that we had some months ago, I contacted roofers, my insurance company and someone who replaces siding.

I have been informed by 4 reputable roofing companys that my 11 year old GAF shingled roof needs to be replaced between now and 1 1/2 years.

They state that there are many cracks (only through 1st shingle and not through under shingle or the felt); that there is curling; that there is minor hail damage (as well as various golf ball hits); that the flashing and step flashing has gaps in it next to the fireplace.

My insurance agent states that it doesn't need to be replaced, that there are cracks, but that can be fixed with a sealant. As far as the gaps in the flashing, he couldn't find any problem. He did see a hole in the siding, which he states was my problem.

I recently had a piece of siding replaced near the chimney (had a hole due to a golf ball hit). Upon replacing the siding we found a gap (too short siding and too small piece of insulation board). This has now been fixed.

Based on this information, I am trying to find out:
(1) if I need a new roof.
(2) if the sealant will fix the cracks in the shingles
(3) what might have caused the beerbelly in my wall above the fireplace
(4) if I should replace or seal the gap in the stepflashing around the chimney

Thanks for your help.

Old 03-04-00, 04:18 AM
Visiting Guest
Hurricane: I do not know where you live, but you your shingles could very easily need replacing even if only 11 years old. the reason is the sun. The ultra violet rays dry the oils out in the asphalt shingles. When shingles start to curl, you know they are dry. They become brittle and crack. The buldge above your fireplace, probably is due from water damage coming down your chimney.
You insurance man is going to say it is all right. That is because he does not want a claim. Remember, he works for the insurance company. He is paid not to get claims. It is probably hard for you to imagine, but you really have very little hail damage. I replace siding where there is a hole every foot all around the house. I would probably say get your roof fixed and flashing fixed.
Pull off the sheetrock above your fire place and get that moisture out of there. Now that I have spent all of your money, Good Luck.

------------------
Jack the Contractor

Old 03-04-00, 06:07 AM
Visiting Guest
Jack, You stated that it is best to get the roof fixed; will sealing the cracks work or is it best to replace the whole thing based on the cracks and curling? I live near D.C. Thanks for the information.

[This message has been edited by hurricane (edited March 04, 2000).]

Old 02-06-05, 10:41 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Realizing that I'm responding to a 4-5 year old post, here goes anyway........... Nearly ALL, and I mean ALL {nearly}
roof leaks which occur on a pitched roof of any kind are flashing related. In most cases it is simply that the flashings were not installed, installed incorrectly, installed sloppily, not "re-installed" and tied-in with any additional layer of shingles, etc.
Your leaking could have been due to improper installation of step flashings on either side of chimney, loose or improperly installed counter flashings which are the ones located on the walls of the chimney {in most cases of lap, stucco, or other siding materials the siding is acting as the "counter flash". On chimneys with crickets installed behind them, there may be an issue with the small valleys which divert the water to either side.
Most hail storms will not cause a roof to leak unless it's severe enough to pound holes completely through the roofing materials.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: