new galvalume roof - leaking skylight

Old 03-31-03, 07:28 PM
MisterTheToad
Visiting Guest
new galvalume roof - leaking skylight

I just had a galvalume roof installed on a cabin I'm building in the mountains. I have one skylight in the master bath. When I saw how it was flashed I asked the installer when he would finish it -- he said he already was. What I saw from above was a standing seam roof with a skylight spanning two full raised seams, without any kind of cricket to divert the rain. Thus, there was a dam formed between the two seams, the depth of the seam on either side, (With the third side being the skylight itself) that would clearly hold water until it evaporated.

The roofer said that, because galvalume cannot be soldered, this was the proper and established means of doing this. Well, it just rained and it leaked like a sieve, from the area that held the water like a dam.

I told the roofer this today and he said it just needed more sealant. I expressed my concern that putting sealant over the flashing may temporarily fix the symptom, but it wouldn't fix the problem, and I wasn't looking forward to replacing the caulk on my "25 year roof", every few year when the sealant got weak and the ceiling leaked.

Am I getting a run around here? I like the roofer and the product, but does the manufacturer really suggest this? If anyone has input, please let me know. The roofer's coming back on Wednesday. Thanks.

Old 03-31-03, 09:05 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You do have a problem. And I will bet that you will get alot of answers here. The root of the problem however, is that that type of roofing and skylights do not go good together. This happens everytime. Your roofer probably has never run into this before, so he only has his experience to go from. Lets look at your options. You can't cut a hole in the metal to make a channel,
You can caulk, You mayt be able to built up back from the top of the skylight back up the roof with tar until you make a path for the water. Not too many options. Or put a bucket under the leak.
You could have used a different type of metal and the problem would not have surfaced. Good Luck

Old 04-10-03, 06:44 PM
spolsen
Visiting Guest
Your problem sounds like an unexperienced roofer. A good skylight is consistant of a curb and window, flashig and counter flashing. Water needs a way to escape. When I install a skybox or skylight, I like to leave a small channel for all of the water and debris to flow thru----Velux is GREAT FOR THE INEXPERIENCED

Old 04-10-03, 07:13 PM
MisterTheToad
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the input -- as of yet the roofer has not returned to fix the skylight. That said, we have had an incredible amount of rain and I understand why. Fortunately, my cabin is only a shell, and the worst that's happening is my subfloor is getting wet. Hardly the first time.

The roofer has assured me that he will build up something that causes the water to run over the skylight, rather than pool behind it. Which is good, because as I mentioned to him on the phone the other day, the Glavalume warranty states it is void if water is allowed to pool on the product.

Evidently the biggest problem (when compared with standard metal roofs) is that this product cannot be welded; thus, other fixes need to be considered.

Innexperienced? Maybe so. They've been using this product for six years and their references check out. But still, it's not rocket science...

Old 04-11-03, 08:15 AM
spolsen
Visiting Guest
What I would do is find the manufacturer on the net and contact them with your question. They would give you their recommendation so your warranty isn't lost. I really cannot see a wash being built (cricket) behind a skylight. I looked @ the manufacturer photos of this product and I am guessing that the skylight was installed on top of the metal roofing system. Then I assume it was siliconed/caulked to seal the unit. The problem with this is there is too many temperature changes and the seal would fail prematurely. The seams and ridges have too many rises and falls to seal over a period of time. I feel that the only way to install a metal roofing product like this and have a skylight would be to install a flashing/gutter system to devert the water around the skylight. If the product is already installed, maybe it could somehow be braised or welded like a copper roof is done. But 1st contact the manufacturer and see what their recommendations are. Hopefully the installer has already done this??

Old 04-11-03, 08:24 AM
spolsen
Visiting Guest
I just reread your post and you stated it can't be welded---Contact the manufacturer. I wish you luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: