brown gunk dripping on siding

Old 02-17-00, 11:35 AM
Visiting Guest
New house thus new roof. Have noticed that the roof shingles are lifting around the edges of the house and that brown gunk has dripped all over the sides of the house. I am assuming that this is a result of the roof shingles lifting. There are no trees or other outdoor structures to interfere. Does anyone know what is causing the brown drippy tar looking stuff all over the siding?

Old 02-17-00, 08:44 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

Contact your builder and/or the sub that did the roofing. Sounds like you may have a roofing warranty claim.

Old 03-10-00, 02:10 PM
Visiting Guest
You already hit the nail on the head but I will tell you exactly what it is.
Before the roofers layed the shingles they put a 4" strip of wet cement "tar" probably too close to the edges of the roof under the shingles and on top of the felt. This strip of wet cement is there to keep water from getting into the roof but as you can see if it is exposed enough water will mix with it and stain any thing it runs over. The shingles were not nailed/installed properly or you would not have the problem. Some roofers run their starter course by turning a shingle upside down. By code this is wrong and would make all the nails holding any shingles 6 inches away from the lowest edge of the roof. By code the roofer should lay a starter course by laying the first shingle with the top of the eyes even with the edge of the eaves drip then cutting the excess shingle off, still nailing the shingle over the eyes but about 2" from edge. The sides should be what's double nailed. which means each shingle is nailed about 2" in from the edge all the way to the ridge.
This is only around the edges.
I've been a roofer for 17yrs. and truly dislike roofers who can't do their job...
I hope I could help... Keiser...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: