Metal roofing

Old 02-07-00, 08:23 AM
Visiting Guest
How come no one is using metal?

It can withstand lots of weather. Does not need much pitch to drain water well. Is relatively easy to install. Is attractive. Is reasonably priced.

Any comments on this one?

------------------
MTAC - VB,MO
www.carpenter.cjb.net
Home repair & Construction

"Where the character and work are always upright"

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-00, 05:24 PM
Visiting Guest
Very few are using metal because most roofers don't want to learn new techniques. Metal (standing seam) quotes I've had are 3 times that of a top quality 350 lb. composition roof. Too few builders are willing to try anything different. By the way, I like the name you've chosen!

Old 02-27-00, 02:31 PM
Visiting Guest
I live in Upper Mich, and there are lot's of metal roof's up here. Mainly because you don't have to shovel them off in the winter, which is a Big Plus......

Old 02-28-00, 03:40 AM
Visiting Guest
More the a Carpenter:
People do not use metal roofs, because, they are noisy, they have a glare, and they look cheap on a house. Even though they come in colors. It is not because roofers do not like to put them on. Some areas of the country have lots of them. There is no way to disguise them. A metal roof is a metal roof. We put ots of them on barns.

------------------
Jack the Contractor

Old 02-28-00, 12:41 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

We are very much interested in metal roofing and are just starting to look into it. If anyone has experience with it please post it. We are really looking for metal shingles with a do-it-yourself installation. Does anyone have any suggestions for manufactures that allow that? Thanks.

Old 03-03-00, 03:49 PM
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

There are some really nice looking steel shingles out there, but I'm not sure if the distibutors/retailers would be interested in selling to DIY'ers.

There is plenty of good information on the WWW on metal roofs too. Try going to http://metalroof.net They should be able to help you.

I got a real good 10 minute video on metal roofing from a TV commercial. It's pretty good information too.

------------------
MTAC - VB,MO
www.carpenter.cjb.net
Home repair & Construction

"Where the character and work are always upright"

Old 03-03-00, 07:29 PM
Visiting Guest
knowal:

Yes, you can buy metal shingles. You will probably have to have them ordered for you, so you will have to know your square footage.
When you get your sq. footage, add about 15%
extra. Most home suppliers or lumber yards, will have brochures and color charts. Good Luck

------------------
Jack the Contractor

Old 03-18-00, 08:38 AM
Visiting Guest
I am also interested in metal shingles and have just started looking into it. I live in the Northeast the only ones I've seen are on convience stores and they are ugly as sin. I've seen the ads with pictures of these roofs on houses but it's impossible to tell what they look like. I would be installing this myself. I would be happy to exchange any info with you. [email protected]