low pitched roof reshingling

Old 03-12-00, 04:36 PM
Visiting Guest
I'm going to be reshingleing my roof soon. Th back hlf of the house has barely any pitch at all maybe 15-20 degrees. We always have an ice dam in the winter so I think I need to put and Ice and water barrier but will it obstruct the flow of water off the roof with such a low pitch. I would appreciate any help with this I can get. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-00, 04:20 AM
Visiting Guest
T Art:
After you remove all of your roofing down to the bare wood, put roof seal on the whole roof. It is a rubber like material, very sticky on one side, and will absolutely stop any water. probably best to have someone help you put it down. Comes in rolls. A little spendy but worth every penny. Shingle right over it. Good Luck

------------------
Jack the Contractor

Old 03-18-00, 06:31 PM
Visiting Guest
20 degree pitch is almost a 4 1/2:12 which is usually adequate enough for standard shingles.

However 15 degrees is almost 3:12 which is nowhere close to acceptable for the same roofing.

Roofing manufacturers do not warranty the shingles below a 4:12 pitch. You've also got to use roofing felt and 4 nails in every full shingle to maintain the warranty.

The membrane should help you a bunch. Make sure that you keep your gutters clean so that there is less likely chance for the water to back up and freeze (causing an ice dam).

------------------
MTAC - Van Buren,MO
www.carpenter.cjb.net
Home repair & Construction

"Where the character and work are always upright"

Anything worth cutting down a tree for, is worth doing right.

[This message has been edited by More than a Carpenter (edited March 18, 2000).]