Hail damage; replacing roof...

Old 03-19-00, 08:22 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi,
My wife and I live in a 1000 sq./ft. house built in 1950 in Dallas, TX that suffered hail damage a couple of weeks ago. The insurance co. came out and informed us that we need a new roof. Having never been in this situation before, what should I look for in a new roof. Also, what to look for in a company to do the job. Th insurance won't reccomend anyone (I guess for liablity reasons). They said look in the Yellow Pages, anyone there has at least been in business since before the hail storm :-) Thanks for everyones' thoughts and opinions!
David

Old 03-19-00, 08:38 AM
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

Find out first if there are more than one layer of shingles on your roof. If so, they WILL HAVE TO TEAR IT ALL OFF! This will be to bare wood decking.

They will use either 15# or 30# roof felt (warranty). I prefer 30# because it so much stronger. It only covers half the area so take twice as much. Either weight costs the same per roll. So 30# will cost twice as much.

Next choice is either 3-tab or simulated shake shingles. Warranties last anywhere from 20 to 40 years. The more years the higher cost. The last three roofs I have done are sim shake and they look really good. Even on an older house.

Do not allow them to staple the shingles. A roofing nail gun is okay, but I do not recemmend staples. Each full shingle needs a minimum of four nails (warranty).

Make sure that they use a metal drip edge all the way around. They need to use starter shingles too.

They should use roofing tar or caulk around any vent holes. They should replace the pipe vent cap (it is known as a roofer).

If you have valleys they should flash them. If there are an places where roof adjoins a wall, they need to step flash.

All this is what you need to look out for.

------------------
MTAC - Van Buren,MO
www.carpenter.cjb.net
Home repair & Construction

"Where the character and work are always upright"

Anything worth cutting down a tree for, is worth doing right.
www.toolreview.cjb.net

[This message has been edited by More than a Carpenter (edited March 19, 2000).]

Old 03-25-00, 04:07 AM
Visiting Guest
I won't go into "about your roof", but if you want to find a roofer, drive through new subdivisions during daylight week days, and find a new roof being put on. There are alot of roofers in the yellow pages, but if you go through a new construction area you will find the ones the builders use. They will be good ones. Remember, no staples.Good Luck

------------------
Jack the Contractor

Old 12-26-06, 11:47 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'd say get a solid, class 4 roof. There's Endura Shakes that supposedly can stand up to strong hail and hurricane winds. I'd try to avoid having to go through insurance paperwork, time off work, contractor headaches, etc. by just going with the good stuff right from the start.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: