guter draining over rake board

Old 04-02-03, 04:45 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
guter draining over rake board

I had a cricket built to divert water away from a valley that was running into a brick chimney. The problem now is that another valley was created as a result of installaing the cricket which is now diverting half of the water on other side of the chimney, but over an rake board, not the typical eave area with a soffitt. The water flow is concentrated because of the valley, so there is only one place over the rake board that water drains.

The water drains over the rake board and onto to a porch roof, located approximately 8' directly below the rake board. I've noticed that during windy rainfalls., the water draining splashes around the wall below as well as the brick chimney stack below.

Do I need to install a small gutter to carry the water to the porch roof below for this, or is it OK to let the water drain? Do you forsee any issues with installing a small gutter (1') directly on the rake board. Any advice/recommendtaions will be appreciated. thanks in advance.

Old 04-03-03, 01:09 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
water

Yes get the water where you want it dont just let it blow are splash down there. Not all over the rest of the home. Dont know what it looks like but. Yes you can put a small gutter there and a down spout to the roof below. Are you can get what we call a downspout head made and this would go up there where the water comes off the roof ED

Old 04-04-03, 04:45 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
thank u very much for your suggestion Ed. I think the "downspout head" is a great idea. Can I make/purchase this myself or do i need to get a gutter pro involved? Any further suggestions would be helpful.

tom

Old 04-04-03, 08:43 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Gutters

Yes you can build one. Say you get 1' of 5" gutter with 2 end caps,now put a piece of sheet metal about 6" tall on the front and both ends and a down spout tube or what you want is a sheet metal shop.They could make you one. Look up at some of the stores or out side the malls.You will see them Its looks like a box and out of the bottom is a down spout. At the bottom you want an L and a splash plate under it so the water dont work on the roof there. ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: