adding on to roof

Old 03-26-00, 05:54 AM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I am going to add onto the gable end of my home. I want the new roof to be the same hieght as the existing roof. The old roof is asphalt shingles on a 12-3 pitch. How do I join the new roof to the old one? Do I remove some shingles and overlap the felt or just overlay the new shingle onto the old roofing? I am concerned about it leaking when it rains. any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-00, 06:25 AM
Visiting Guest
You have a right to be concerned. This is where you will have trouble. If you are intend on this addition being the same height, you will have to tear back shingles about four feet on your existing roof, then shingle out onto the new addition. The problem, now is going to be you will always have a little bump ridge on your roof where they come together. It is for these reasons,that most additions are about 4" lower then the existing roof line. Good Luck

------------------
Jack the Contractor

Old 03-27-00, 05:20 PM
Visiting Guest
If the pitch is a 3:12 I would worry about it leaking now!

I might recommend that instead of butting right up to the existing roof, that you also tear back roof decking to joints and eliminate the "little bump ridge" as Jack called it. Just a thought.

------------------
MTAC - Van Buren,MO
www.carpenter.cjb.net
Home repair & Construction

"Where the character and work are always upright"

Anything worth cutting down a tree for, is worth doing right.
www.toolreview.cjb.net