applying roof sheathing

Old 04-08-00, 06:48 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

i am putting 5/8 inch plywood on my house and i need to know the proper length staple
to use for nailing the plywood to the rafters. i also need to know the nail spacing for this plywood.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-00, 10:15 PM
Visiting Guest
I would use 8d cement coated sinker or ring shank nails, not staples.

On the seems I usually nail every 6" to 8", and 10" to 12" in the field.

Be careful on the roof especially if it is windy. The plywood sheets become sails in the wind, and will blow you right off the roof. It would be a good idea to nail a 2x4 along the bottom of your roof line (about 1 foot from the edge) to keep from sliding off. If you have a 7:12 pitch or steeper you may want to use even more toeboards as ladders.

Before putting on the sheathing, you should plumb cut the rafter tails to their proper lengths and install a sub-fascia board (if that's to be part of your soffit framing) so you know where to start the sheathing.

Set a level against the wall and use that to measure along a level line to the bottom of the first rafter tail, moving the level up or down till the tail hits the length of your overhang minus 1-1/2" for a sub-fascia. Put a mark there, make the same measurement on the last rafter tail and snap a chalkline between the two marks, marking the bottom of all the rafter tails.

Use the level to mark a plumb line up the side of each rafter tail at the chalk mark and cut along those lines with a circular saw. Then cut and nail the sub-fascia's on to the ends of the rafter tails, extending as needed at each end to account for the gable end overhangs.

The first course of sheathing then goes in along the bottom of the rafters. You can set the first piece on either end lining it up with the outside framing, but if you've built an overhang that's not exactly 24" you'll have to cut the piece so that the other end lands in the middle of a rafter as required.

Nail in as many pieces as needed to reach the other side, letting the end of the last piece run wild. Start the next course of sheathing on a different rafter to stagger the seams and strengthen the roof and continue sheathing the roof till finished.

Snap chalklines over the wild ends to reflect the overhang and cut the ends off with a circular saw.

It might save you time to start the first course in the middle of the second rafter and the second course on the third rafter(to
stagger the seams), work your way across, cut the wild ends on the far side and then use those cut pieces to help finish the end you started on.

You can also let the last course of your sheathing run up past the top of the rafters and then cut those to the proper height when all the pieces are in.

Also - don't forget to use plywood clips between each rafter.

------------------
MTAC - Van Buren,MO
www.carpenter.cjb.net
Home repair & Construction

"Where the character and work are always upright"

Anything worth cutting down a tree for, is worth doing right.
www.toolreview.cjb.net

[This message has been edited by More than a Carpenter (edited April 09, 2000).]

Old 04-10-00, 04:25 AM
Visiting Guest
You use 8d, 6" on center down the each rafter. Good Luck

------------------
Jack the Contractor