Concrete Tile Roofing

Old 04-07-00, 06:19 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I am purchasing a 1959 beach house, which the house inspector thinks has the original concrete tile roof in place. He said the roof is structurally sound, but has a leak in a valley over the eaves (no evidence of internal leaks in the house or attic). I had an estimate to fix this @ $2000, and was wondering if someone could give a guess on a full replacement w/concrete tile. The house is single story, 2000 sq. ft. w/ a normal pitch on the roof. Thanks in advance.

Mark Henneman
Redington Beach, FL

Old 04-08-00, 10:22 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

If there is no evidence of leaking, then how could he tell?

I would not fix it if it were not really leaking!

Concrete tile is really not recommended for normal roof pitches. It is too heavy for a shallower pitch roof.

------------------
MTAC - Van Buren,MO
www.carpenter.cjb.net
Home repair & Construction

"Where the character and work are always upright"

Anything worth cutting down a tree for, is worth doing right.
www.toolreview.cjb.net

Old 04-10-00, 04:21 AM
Visiting Guest
I think your leak is outside of your house.
They usually used galvenized tin in the old days, some used copper for the valleys. If it is outside I would not worry about it unless financing requires it fixed. concrete roofing is expensive. Just price the shingles, and you will find out. Good Luck

------------------
Jack the Contractor

Old 04-10-00, 06:05 AM
Visiting Guest
You're right Jack, it is outside the house. The inspector did a water test (Garden hose variety) and found the leak under the eaves, with no sign of it affecting the house internally. I received the quote to repair and it seems easy enough to do myself. I just don't want it to rot out the wood underneath.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: