Drainage

Old 03-28-00, 03:32 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

This isn't technically a roofing problem, but it seems like the closest matching forum. I've got a problem with water draining away from the northwest corner of the house. The north side is taken up with an asphalt driveway that, unfortunately, slopes towards the house. The west side is occupied by a sidewalk and then the neighbor's house. So there's nowhere for the water to go. Eventually the driveway will be redone so it drains properly, but it's a joint driveway and I'll have to spend a lot of time convincing my neighbor that it needs to be redone. In the meantime I'm trying to find other viable solutions to the seepage. Even when the driveway is redone I'd like to keep water off of it because we live in a northern clime. Despite the mild winters we've had recently, the water still freezes. Skating is fun, but not when you're carrying in the groceries.

If anyone has any suggestions I would dearly love to read them.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-00, 08:35 AM
Visiting Guest
Without knowing a little more about how the ground lays I can't say for sure. Is there room to lay a shallow curtain drain along the sidewalk? (drain rock and plastic tile) or can the edge of the driveway be built up with something to keep the water away from the house. Hope this helps a little.

Old 04-24-00, 04:48 PM
Visiting Guest
Eventually the driveway will be redone so it slopes properly. But that's a long term endeavor as I have to convince my neighbor to join in the fun.

What, pray tell, is a curtain drain?

Old 04-24-00, 08:49 PM
Visiting Guest
I was thinking of a shallow trench that could be dug with a shovel. Into the trench would be lain a corrugated plastic drain tile (3 or 4 inch dia.) and the rest of the trench filled up with drain rock that would act as a barrier and allow the water to flow away before it reached the house or puddled up. It will only work if you have the ability to cut the ditch on a slope so the water will be carried away. I may not be picturing the lay of the land as it really is so this may not work. Hope this helps!