Converting Flat Roff to Pitched Roof

Old 05-19-00, 04:07 PM
Visiting Guest
Looking for information / help.
We have purchased an older home (built in 1955, 1700 sq ft) It has a flat roof w/ the a/c-heating and ducts on the roof(very ugly). We would like to put a simple pitched roof on and possibly add an attic room (if it would like right) and add a car port. We would also like to add more covered patio area. We have been unable to find much information on this topic.

[This message has been edited by ARwebwind (edited May 19, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by ARwebwind (edited May 19, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by ARwebwind (edited May 20, 2000).]

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-00, 09:07 AM
Visiting Guest
Call several contractors and get estimates. Adding a pitched roof is one thing, but adding the "attic room" -- now you're getting into 2 story construction. Is your existing foundation designed for the second story? (I doubt it)

Old 05-20-00, 09:23 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Are you sure you want to spend this much money on your home? Like Lefty says, the pitched roof is a relatively simple task , but adding a room in that would mean lots more labor cost. Still not an unmanageable task though.

The covered patio and carport are almost like inexpensive extras compared to the main structure.

Adding a complete second story would mean that your current ceiling joists would need to be at least 2x10 to carry the new load. Engineered trusses would probably be the least expensive way to go for the new ceiling and roof.

If you choose to add a 1/2 story, you might think about trusses with a built in room. The steeper the pitch, the bigger the room.

Best to consult with an architect and have a plan for your bidding contractors to work with.

This is the kind of job that I would love to do! How about you Jack and Lefty?

Hmmm, I have some old relations in Modesto!

Old 05-20-00, 09:31 AM
Visiting Guest
Talking

Thanks for the reply. You are both probably right about the attic room. Our main concern was putting on the roof (with the added carport & Patio area). The attic room was an after-thought. I was considering contacting a Drafting company that offers free estimates. I really want it to look right.