Need A new Roof

Old 05-19-00, 06:39 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Hi all, We need a new Roof, The one we have has a big tar spot on it, as we got a leack in Jan, Ok Know we are ready to buy the Roof Parts. My Husdands Question is go with 20 year or 40 year. My Dad says 40. his 20. so the question is who is right.All I know is the color, Grey or White. Other then that, I have no clue, My husband keeps asking me all kinds of questions as to what is the best shingle. So I am going to all of you. let me know. Thank you for your all your help. and time.
jpjty
A family that needs a new roof. Any and all info thank's. again/

Old 05-20-00, 10:01 AM
Visiting Guest
Put on the longest lasting roof that you can afford. The price difference between 20 year shingles and 40 year shingles isn't that great. How soon do you want to have to do it again?

Old 05-20-00, 10:41 AM
Visiting Guest
My first comment is to choose a color other than white. It is often hard to work with because it scuffs so easily when installing while it is warm. I've had to work backwards up a roof too many times because of this. Not too fun!

How about an architectural, also known as simulated shake, shingle? They all have at least a 35 year warranty and look wonderful on a roof!

There are many brands of shingle available. Go with one that has been around a long time and will be able to back up their warranty, if needed. Certainteed, GAF, Owens-Corning, Tamko, and Elk are all reputable brands.

Are you planning on doing the work yourself? If so, I have a good roofing How to section on my website.

Old 12-26-06, 12:04 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The simulated shingles look like doll house roofing. Too perfect and lacking character. Have you considered real wood? Endurashakes and cedar roofs don't have that look but cedar roofs will need to be re-done after 15 years at most...

Old 12-26-06, 03:28 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need New Roof

NEW ROOF: I noticed two thing right off from your question. You did not give us your name, nor did you tell us what kind of house you have. Ranch, 2 story, Tri level, etc. Without these answers it does not make it difficult to answer, but with this information, you could get alot more answer. Now, just for shingles, you cannot get 20 shingles anymore. Some places may have some left overs, but usually the shortest you can get is 25 year. I would go with a three dimensional shingle and probably a 30, 35 or 40 year shingle. The price is very slight between these. As far as color, thats your choice. Frost is the most popular. It is a whitish gray. Go to your Home Improvement center or Lumber Yard and pick out the color that they keep in stock and in the year of shingle you want. Do not special order a color or shingle. If you need more, you cannot match them. I could go on and on, but these are questions you want answered now so I will stop. Feel free to ask more questions. Good Luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: