Roofing why such big price differences?

Old 05-22-00, 02:03 PM
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

Our roof is 2000 square feet with three dormers and a 4 foot skylight.

We need a new roof and have gotten several estimates from 7,500 (20 year shingles) to 25,000 for 40 year shingles.

Why such big differences? Any light you can shed on this would be great. What started out as an exciting project is starting to become a nightmare.

Thanks, Roxanne

Old 05-26-00, 01:29 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Not sure if you are saying the difference is from different contractors for the same thing or the same contractor for the shorter / longer rating.

Roofing is one area where quotes can vary widely. Probably as many reasons as there are contractors. Some probably how busy and how big his backlog is. When you are hungry, you bid lower to be sure to get some work.

Part of it also how automated is the fellow. Good equipment allows for bidding low. One man with the right equipment can do the work of three or four the old fashion way.

Try to ensure they are all bidding the same brand or equal shingle manufacturer. Most of the cost is in the labor, but one may be using an off brand shingle or product.

Make sure they are all bidding the same service. Example: One is quoting a complete tear off and re-shingle. Another is quoting a job just going over the top with another layer.

READ and understand the quotes. Ask questions if not sure.

If using lesser brands goods they tend to be a little cheaper and maybe not quite the quality.

Some may be their insurance costs. Roofers pay fairly high insurance rates. Some know how to shop for insurance better that others.

Different contractors will look at the same house and see different things. In general the lower price is better. But ask for references and maybe go see a few jobs the contractor has done in your area.

In general the longer rating is better if one plans on staying in the home for something in that time frame. The shorter rating if you plan on selling in a few years and the price between the two is enough to make a difference.

Understand what is not covered in the quote and may be needed as an extra. Generally things like replacing rotted roof decking or edging boards or similiar items that can't be seen until the job is underway.

The price differences don't automatically mean there is something wrong, there are a lot of variables in the way two contractors work that may explain their pricing structures.

Best of luck

Old 05-26-00, 06:31 PM
Visiting Guest
I worked up your job as if I was bidding on it. I came up with $3000 plus any scaffolding, or roof jacks needed, Is the roof walkable, what type of roofing needs to be taken off, amount and kind of metal to be replaced. I still only came up with about
$5000.00. I could understand the $7500 bid but the higher ones, there is something missing. Maybe to busy to do your job.

Old 05-26-00, 08:56 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Her job is comparable to one I know was done recently in my neighborhood. It went for around $7,500.

I hesitate to throw around numbers. In this recent building boom, prices are all over the lot, plus different areas of the country the prices again may have a wide variation, same from rural to small town to big city.

Plus time of season, you are right about some the factors that "should" go into the calculation but I've found they charge what the market will bear.

The calm, cool organized approach will get the best price available in her area for a given time. Still plenty of the year left to do the work. Fall is the brutal season, prices go absolutely crazy, if you need it tomorrow.

Old 05-28-00, 06:02 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for all the great advice. The highest bid contractor was adament that all the decking needed to be replaced, a few beams shaved down, and rubber roofing be applied to the entire roof and then the shingles to be put down. We did go with the 7500. quote. The house is old, built approximately 1780 but I know for a fact that a good majority of the decking needs not to be replaced, since it was roofed recently (within 3 years ago). However the reason why we are putting on a new roof is because it is bad in other section and valleys are not woven right. Pluse some of the shingles are not matching.

The beams that he wanted to shave down was not something we had suggested. He pointed out the beam. We stated adamently that is only created a slight lump in the roof and we like to keep it that way because it added "character".

Anyhow, thank you for the great advice, I will post on how it turns out.

Thanks, Roxanne

Old 05-28-00, 08:31 AM
Visiting Guest
Your right about what the price will bear. In Boston, a bowl ob beans cost $100.00

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: