attaching a deck and roof

Old 05-21-00, 08:48 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I am getting ready to add a deck with a roof to my house. I need to know how to attach the trusses to the house. All the deck "how to" books tell me how to attach the deck but I can find nothing on how to attach the trusses. Can anyone tell me or tell me where to find plans to follow to do this?

Old 05-22-00, 04:11 AM
Visiting Guest
Attach a ledger plate to your home for your rafters just like you do for your deck. Usually a 2x6. Attach with a long lag bolt at least every 4 feet, into a stud or roof header. Then get some rafter hangers the same size as your rafters, attach them to the ledger plate for the roof, and your ready to install your rafters. Good Luck
ps. When attaching the hangers use a nail called a pekoe nail. About 1 1/2 long. You can get them at any lumber supply place.

Old 05-26-00, 10:06 PM
Visiting Guest
Are you asking about attaching a gable roof to your house? You need to strip back the shingles all the way to the roof decking and attach it that way. The ridge board attaches first with the roof pitch angle already cut on the end of it so that it will easily attach directly to the roof deck.

The rafters attach to it just like they would on any other roof. You will have to cut jack rafters for the valleys.

Old 05-28-00, 02:53 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

The whole deal of how to attach decks to houses just about can't be over done.

Recently we have had around 3 local incidents where decks have collasped when parties were thrown and large number of people where on the deck.

The folks building decks never think about this factor and do not design or plan for it. Apparantly part of the cause is a reasonce is set up in the structure due to vibration, dancing, etc.

I have no knowledge or details of exactly why the failures occur, only what I see on TV, but it does look like the decks actually pull out from their attachments in each case.

Guess it means one can not overdo the length and number of bolts. Maybe goes into the general overall design too.

Just a thought I pass along, some folks say "well did you ever hear of one failing".

Guess they actually do.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: