gutters

Old 05-27-00, 06:02 AM
Visiting Guest
I understand there are several ways to attach gutters to the house. Is there a prefered option by the pros? Also, what about vinyl, aluminum or galvanzed? Again, is there a preferece by the pros?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-00, 11:50 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

The preference hands down is probably seamless aluminum.

There are companies who have trucks set up for mobile operation with the aluminum in a coil roll and the forming jig in the truck.

They can make any length, several different sizes and colors right at the jobsite.

That is a huge advantage over lugging those old wood 32 footers on a truck thru town.

As to clips, its probably the standard ones used by the fellow who makes the gutter.

These seamless fabricators are in the local yellow pages for any area and carry any product for gutters, downspouts, fittings, etc.

Some may be able to make vinyl or galvanzed using the same method. I don't think it is the material so much as the convenience, appearance and price that makes aluminum the choice.

Old 05-27-00, 08:22 PM
Visiting Guest
If you are doing this yourself I would recommend using gutter screws rather than spikes. They hold very well.
http://www.mcfeelys.com/html/gutter_screws.html

I've used them and like them.

MTAC http://www.carpenter.cjb.net

Old 05-28-00, 06:50 AM
Visiting Guest
And how far apart should the gutter screws or brakets be spaced.

thanks much for the info?

Old 05-28-00, 08:36 AM
Visiting Guest
They should be spaced every 2 and 1/2 feet apart.

Old 05-29-00, 06:18 PM
Visiting Guest
WHAAT? Your gutter spikes should be nailed into each rafter tail 16 24 whatever sounds like a come back next year and fixit job to me

Old 06-02-00, 05:47 PM
Visiting Guest
Depends on what you have behind the gutters. If there is no facia board, or only a 1" thich facia, then screw them into the rafter tails. But if you have a 2X6 or 2X8 facia, then crewing them every 30" will work just fine. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by longhairedbeard:
WHAAT? Your gutter spikes should be nailed into each rafter tail 16 24 whatever sounds like a come back next year and fixit job to me<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 06-02-00, 09:56 PM
Visiting Guest
How would you find the end of a rafter tail once the sub-fascia board and soffit were covered with trim coil? I use screws anyways or let the gutter guys do it with a warranty.

MTAC

Old 06-03-00, 04:35 AM
Visiting Guest
I was not using the nails or screws that go through the gutter. I was talking about the new brackets with fancy snap in gutters, for easy removal, and cleaning. Stronger gutters, more wind resistance, come in living compatiable colors, and screw on to your facial board about every 2' 6". Every 2' if using rafter tails. Happy hanging everyone.

Old 06-03-00, 04:41 AM
Visiting Guest
Longhairedbeard:

Drop me an e-mail.

Jack