Roof Repair?

Old 06-06-00, 12:16 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

How can I repair leaking down the soffits on a tar and gravel roof? Can I patch a 3foot boarder all around the roof, and what can I use to do this?

Old 06-08-00, 06:51 PM
Visiting Guest
Best way is to simply replace the roof. If there is enough pitch, use a 25 or 30 year comp., otherwise, I would suggest a metal roof.

Old 02-06-05, 10:55 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sweep back as much of the gravel and dirt as you can. The success in any tar&gravel roof repair depends mostly on how clean you get it. Even when you think you've swept it back good, sweep it more with a good stiff broom, working all the dirt and dust out of the alligatoring {erosion cracks}, and at all the drip edge metal seams {usually about every 10ft.}
After the areas are thouroughly cleaned, AND BONE DRY, apply a non-fibered asphalt coating. Better yet, go right to a roofing material "wholesaler", found in your yellow pages, and ask for asphalt primer. {All roofing material "wholesalers" I've known are more than happy to help and sell to homeowners doing thier own work.}
This primer is sloppy stuff. Be carefull using it because it does not clean up with soap and water.
After priming the areas in question, let the solevant "burn off" for a day or so. You'll be left with a nice clean tacky surface on which you can apply a combination of plastic roof cement to any cracks, and fibered rfoof coating to the whole area. The combination of these products fixes most t&g roof leaks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: