Solar Tubes

Old 06-05-00, 05:55 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

We are thinking of installing 3 solar tubes in our house. One would be a in walk-in closet. Is this wise? Would the sunlight fade the clothes? Any comments or suggestions or things to watch out for would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-00, 07:10 PM
Visiting Guest
Fading shouldn't be a problem as the light that enters the room will be relected light, not direct light. Just make sure that the room side opening is not directly under the roof side dome.

Old 06-09-00, 03:25 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

Sorry Lefty, I don't quite understand "...the room side opening is not directly under the roof side dome." Please explain, again. Thanks for your response. Jan

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lefty:
Fading shouldn't be a problem as the light that enters the room will be relected light, not direct light. Just make sure that the room side opening is not directly under the roof side dome.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 06-09-00, 11:46 PM
Visiting Guest
Let's make sure we are talking about the same thing here. "Solar tube" type skylights have a dome on the roof about 10" or 12" in diameter, and a light shaft the same size, which is reflective. That shaft is flexible and can be installed so that there is no direct line of sight from inside the room to the dome on the roof. However, if you are talking about a conventional skylight, with a 12" by 12" or larger dome on the roof and a framed light shaft... If you want to reduce or eliminate fading with this type of a skylight, install one with an opaique dome on the roof. I have 3 of those in my house (and they are 10 years old), and fading has never been a problem. Two of these are on the south face of my roof, and if you are familar with Northern CA summers,...

Old 06-10-00, 09:32 AM
Visiting Guest
Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lefty:
Let's make sure we are talking about the same thing here. "Solar tube" type skylights have a dome on the roof about 10" or 12" in diameter, and a light shaft the same size, which is reflective. That shaft is flexible and can be installed so that there is no direct line of sight from inside the room to the dome on the roof. However, if you are talking about a conventional skylight, with a 12" by 12" or larger dome on the roof and a framed light shaft... If you want to reduce or eliminate fading with this type of a skylight, install one with an opaique dome on the roof. I have 3 of those in my house (and they are 10 years old), and fading has never been a problem. Two of these are on the south face of my roof, and if you are familar with Northern CA summers,... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Lefty... Solar tubes are my choice and you have answered my questions. (I am more familiar with SOUTHERN Calif summers...)

Old 06-10-00, 04:37 PM
Visiting Guest
SOUTHERN CA summers are nice, if you can stand the air!! However, they just aren't warm enough for some of us!! <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JanKollar:
Thanks Lefty... Solar tubes are my choice and you have answered my questions. (I am more familiar with SOUTHERN Calif summers...)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>