New Roofs...Tear off or Second Layer

Old 06-11-00, 07:00 PM
Visiting Guest
I live in a Cape Cod that is 20 years old, I have been in the attic on the front side and noticed some moisture on the insulation. Most of this I believe is because of some loose flashing, but I do have shingles that are beginning to bald, roll a bit, and cracked in some areas. None of this damage is severe but its probably time to take some action. My wife and I plan on staying in this house for another 5-7 years. If I could afford the tear off I would, but I'm wondering how significant the differences are and what trouble I may get my self in with the second layer. I do plan on using architectual shingles. Any advice would be great.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-00, 07:19 PM
Visiting Guest
You should have no problems with a second layer. I've copied a reply to an earlier post for your convenience in adding a second layer of shingles, whether three-tab or arch type.

At your starter cut shingles to butt up to the second full course of shingles. Lay your
first course over the starters as usual.

Now, butt every shingle up to the bottom edge of of the course above it.

If you do it this way it will work out just fine. If you don't you will have cupped shingles.

Wherever the shingle cups will become a water trap.

Use 1 1/2" nails on the main roof and 2" nails on the hips.

MTAC - Van Buren, MO
http://www.carpenter.cjb.net
Home repair & Construction