Color of Shingles

Old 06-24-00, 10:08 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

My question is about the color of shingles. We currently have black shingles and our attic gets hot as heck and holds heat in even though we have two attic exhaust fans.
Would a lighter colored shingle help lower the temp in the attic, and possibly keep the house cooler in the summer.
We live in Indiana so it is hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-00, 10:23 PM
Visiting Guest
If you are going to reroof anyway, I would go to a lighter colored shingle. Yes, it will keep you attic cooler, which will in turn lower your cooling costs. However, I wouldn't spend the $4 or 5,000 to replace a perfectly good roof, JUST to change the color. Installing a better attic ventilation system to cool the attic would be more cost effective, and doing BOTH would help even more.

Old 06-25-00, 06:48 AM
Visiting Guest
Is there any fresh air being drawn in to the attic? If ot, then the fans are trying to work a negative pressure system. They need to be able to draw cooler, fresher air into the space which helps push the warmer air out.

This would take care of lots of your problem.

More than a Carpenter
http://www.carpenter.cjb.net

Old 06-25-00, 07:45 AM
Visiting Guest
If your fans are roof type, you need gable vents on each end. If you have gable fans
you need some roof vents. This will keep
the temps down. Your fans should be able
to exchange 1050 cfm of air.