Mismatched rafter size

Old 06-24-00, 07:23 PM
Visiting Guest
We're adding a master bedroom to our house & the plans call for a vaulted ceiling framed with 2x8's. This provides sufficient depth for the recessed lighting I want to use & R19 insulation. However, I just noticed that the rest of our house is 2x6 rafters. What kind of complications might this cause in areas where the addition meets up with the existing structure? Is it possible to make this work? If we were forced to go to 2x6's for the addition, then I would probably consider not doing the vaulted ceiling.

Thanks,

Dan.

Old 06-24-00, 07:30 PM
Visiting Guest
If the plans you have were passed by your local building dept. and the permit was issued based upon those plans, you should have no problems. Question -- If you're using 2X8's, WHY settle for R-19 insulation? Why not use R-25? The extra insulation will pay for itself a couple of times every year in the form of utility savings!!

Old 06-24-00, 08:27 PM
Visiting Guest
Is this a DIY project or are you having it contracted? The question you have would not be a concern to me, a contractor. If it is a DIY project make sure that you are well versed in light framing practices and materials before you ever make your first saw cut or drive a nail.

I have some pretty good how to help on light framing at my website. Go to the "Catalog of services/DIY help" nav link.

I agree with Lefty on the insulation. Go thick while you have the chance. Don't skimp anywhere else either.

More than a Carpenter
http://www.carpenter.cjb.net

Old 06-25-00, 08:07 AM
Visiting Guest
A good way to look at it is make sure your finished roof is the correct elevation to match your existing home. Just remember you have a 2" difference. This is not a problem,
as long as you remember this. Good Luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: