Tearing off old wooden roofs

Old 06-26-00, 03:23 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

Ok dumb question here. Our house has the old wooden shingles with no sheathing beneath it. It has wooden planks spaced widely, going across the rafters. My question is do I need to tear off the planks below that go across the rafters? Would it be ok to simply nail sheathing on top of the planks or do I need to go ahead and tear everything off the rafters then nail sheathing directly to the rafters.
Also can anyone recommend a good how to video on roofing? I especially need info on sheathing. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-00, 04:08 AM
Visiting Guest
You nail your sheeting right onto your planks. Do not take your planks off. Big trouble if you do. Now, if the gap between your planks is less then 1 1/2" you can shingle without putting down sheeting. Just did one last week. Make sure you use 30# felt, and a heavy shingle. Good Luck

Old 06-28-00, 03:55 AM
Visiting Guest
Absolutely agree with Jack -- leave the skip sheathing on. Put your OSB right on top of it. In addition to avoiding the BIG problems Jack mentioned, it will save you time and add strength to the roof.

Old 06-28-00, 11:57 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

Thanks for the info guys. I was about to rip them out and from reading your replies cause myself a big headache.