Flat Roof Material Question

Old 06-26-00, 11:14 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Which is recommended for a flat roof: tar & gravel or bitumen/composite. No snow here but rain and wind.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-00, 03:56 AM
Visiting Guest
How soon do you want to replace it? My suggestion would be to go to a metal roofing.

Old 06-28-00, 04:32 AM
Visiting Guest
Your job is what metal roofing was made for.

Old 06-30-00, 06:32 AM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

I have a lot of experience with flat roofs and if they're done right they are great, if they're done wrong they give you limitless problems. As long as it's not a high traffic area I would only put EPDM rubber on, 2 thicknesses are availalable .045" (residential) and .060"(commercial). If the area is large I would suggest a tapered poly-iso system underneath the EPDM rubber to help with water runoff. Find a local commercial roofing supply house and they will have all of the details on this. I know that Firestone is one of the few large manufacturers of EPDM rubber but it's actually sold under many different names. The current tests of the EPDM rubber are showing no breakdown of the origional properties after the 30 years or so they've been testing. Feel free to email me with questions at [email protected] - Phil

Old 07-02-00, 12:43 PM
Visiting Guest
We have two quotes - $4,000 for composite and $5,500 for tar and gravel. Want to replace over summer before rainy season. In SF Bay Area. Most flat roofs out here have tar & gravel. No one quoted metal roof. Thanks for your help.

Old 07-02-00, 06:35 PM
Visiting Guest
So get a quote for a metal roof. It will outlast either of the two roofs you have mentioned by 2 to 3 times. If you're lucky, the composite or the tar and gravel will last 20 to 25 years, tops. Metal should be good for about 50. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TiredDog:
We have two quotes - $4,000 for composite and $5,500 for tar and gravel. Want to replace over summer before rainy season. In SF Bay Area. Most flat roofs out here have tar & gravel. No one quoted metal roof. Thanks for your help.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>